Monday, December 24, 2007

With Justice and Righteousness from this Time Forth and Forevermore


“…with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore.”

The kingdom of this child that was to be born is a kingdom He established and upholds with justice and righteousness. These two “kingdom traits” are not there for a while and then something else upholds the kingdom. They are what establishes it and upholds it now and forever.

Why is it significant that justice and righteousness are what drives the kingdom of Christ? In a sense, it is frightening and condemning. The fact that His kingdom is upheld and established with justice means that He is just to all. Wrongs done will be punished. Justice, in other words, will be served. The Perfect Judge will see to it that disobedience to His divine law will be followed through with wrath. If He is to maintain justice, He cannot simply “pass over” sins. They must be punished. So, the King of this kingdom will execute everything with justice. But consider also that the kingdom is upheld and established in righteousness. Being righteous means fulfilling the obligations of the law. Doing everything “right” is the essence of righteousness. So, subjects of His kingdom must be righteous and constantly adhering to righteousness.
Are you starting to see why, in a sense, the fact that His kingdom is established and upheld by this is frightening and condemning? If Jesus is just and punishes disobedience, then I am in major trouble. If righteousness is the order of the day and the characteristic of subjects of this kingdom, then I don’t stand a chance. Left to myself I don’t stand a chance, that is.
You see the very fact that Jesus’ kingdom is established in justice and righteousness points us to the need of Him to come. For the kingdom to be a just kingdom, sin must be punished. This child that was to be born “for us” and this son that was “given” came to bear the punishment we deserved for our sin. I can be a part of His kingdom, not because I have never sinned, but because the sin I have committed has been punished already on the cross. Likewise, I am not a member of the kingdom of Christ because I am perfectly righteous and have done everything in life without a blemish. Far from it! No, I am a subject of this kingdom because Jesus was/is righteous and His record of obedience (perfect) was transferred to me. He took my punishment for sin (justice) and gave me His perfection (righteousness). His kingdom is established and upheld by these things. Because of what this child came to do, I am a kingdom member.

Last night at the close of the Lord’s Supper service I noticed something very interesting that I had never really noticed before. As I was stacking the bread trays on top of the other I observed that there were numerous fingerprints on the edges of the silverware trays. Fingerprints of sinners. Hundreds of people who were far from perfect and way disobedient had eaten bread and drunk juice together. Sinful and disobedient people considered themselves a part of the kingdom of Christ and partook of the Supper as a body. Is that okay? Can it be? His kingdom is established and upheld with justice and righteousness! It sure is. Because of the body that was given for us and the blood that was shed for us, those who believe are made righteous and have a right and forgiven stance before God Almighty.
Thank You Jesus for being born and doing what You did. May You be honored and treasured and adored this Christmas Eve. As I have heard it said so beautifully, “May You receive the reward You deserve for Your suffering!”

No comments: