Friday, December 5, 2008

In Memory of the Beloved Hilda Daniel

Yesterday I had the honor of performing both the funeral and the graveside service of Mrs. Hilda Daniel. When one thinks of Wynne Baptist Church, one cannot help but think of her. She was a dear, precious, loving, merciful, compassionate, and Holy Spirit filled servant of Christ Jesus and His Church. I am grateful to God for her and the impact she had on my life in the brief three years that I knew her.



I have included the outline of my message below. Two verses in the pastoral epistles compel us to learn from older widowed women. Titus 2:2-4 says, “Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women, likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children.”
Likewise, 1 Timothy 5:5 says, “She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day…”



Here are eight lessons I learned from Mrs. Hilda:

1. An encouraging word brings life to weary bones.

Proverbs 15:30
says, “The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, and good news refreshes the bones.”

2. A frail 87 year old can be active in missions.

3. Secular retirement is not the same as spiritual retirement.

4. A lover of Christ and His Church will do anything necessary for the sake of His great name and the joy of others.


5. Going through an Economic Depression will teach dependence and priorities…and you CAN live through it.

Psalm 119:67, 71
says, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word…It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.”


6. An adoring husband makes for a thriving wife and family.

Proverbs 31:28-30
says, “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.’ Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.’”




7. It really is ALMOST possible to obey the Great Commandments.

Luke 10:27
says, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

8. Death is a hope and a longing when your treasure is Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:21-23
says, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which shall I choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.”

2 comments:

Dan and Tami said...

Thanks for this commemoration of Mrs. Hilda. We miss her a lot, too, and can't imagine WBC without her. However, we're grateful for her new home.

Pat said...

We knew Miss Hilda and Mr. Alvin for as long as we have lived in Wynne (almost 40 years), and their lives very much evidenced their love of God. They were both so kind and dignified and dedicated to God, their family and WBC. She is a treasure who will be missed here, but is Heaven's gain. Thank you for the memorial.