Friday, February 5, 2010

Watching Super Bowl 44 To the Glory of God


C.J. Mahaney, at Sovereign Grace Ministries, has a remarkable post on how to be intentional while watching the Super Bowl and do so to the glory of God.


I found his post very, very, very insightful and helpful for those who want to be intentional to the glory of God in everything they do.


He offers four suggestions:


1. Strategically Assign the Remote

2. Watch Proactively

3. Foster Fellowship

4. Draw Attentiont to the Eternal


He concludes:


The day before the 1972 Super Bowl, Dallas Cowboy running back Duane Thomas said, “If it’s the ultimate game how come they’re playing it again next year?” Some players seem to get it. Sadly, many fans don’t.


More recently Tom Brady, quarterback of three Super Bowl championships, is quoted in a 60 Minutes interview saying, "Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there’s something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, “Hey man, this is what is.” I reached my goal, my dream, my life. I think, “God, it’s got to be more than this.” I mean this isn’t, this can’t be what it’s all cracked up to be."


I anticipate that in a week or two, after the Super Bowl has been won, the champions will experience this same dissatisfaction. As Augustine said, “You [God] made us for yourself, and our hearts find no peace till they rest in you.”


We must impart this eternal perspective to our children.



Amen.


Click here to read his entire post.

No comments: