Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Disobedience and "Pesky" Consequences


This morning in my trek through the Bible (I am currently using the "Shirkers and the Slackers" plan) I read Joshua 15-17.


I started at the beginning of December so I would have plenty of 'random' days to use and still stay on task (really, cause I know myself and I do not have a good track record!).


To be honest, there were several times I thought to myself "blah, blah, blah, blah" as I read through the land allotments for Judah and Ephraim and Manasseh. I know that is very irreverent to say. I know that having all this land given to the 12 tribes is a demonstration of the faithfulness and power and grace of God. But, honestly, it was difficult for me to read through all of these places that I really don't know where they are all located.


But a couple of verses caught my attention and I was quickly reminded of the importance to read it ALL. At the end of Joshua 15, I read this: "But the Jebusites, the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the people of Judah could not drive out, so the Jebusites dwell with the people of Judah at Jerusalem to this day." (15:63) And at the end of Joshua 16, I read: "However, they did not drive out the Canaanites who lived in Gezer, so the Canaanites have lived in the midst of Ephraim to this day but have been made to do forced labor." (16:10)


All of these lands came under the possession of the Israelites, but the Jebusites and the Canaanites of Gezer. Are you kidding me? The gods of the Jebusites or the Canaanites are in no way bigger or stronger or more powerful than the God of Judah.


So, why these other 'pesky' peoples a part of the tribes of Israel?


The ESV Study Bible notes were very helpful this morning:


"This is not the first instance of failure to occupy (13:13), and it will not be the last. In 17:12 the Manassites are unable to occupy certain towns because 'the Canaanites persisted in dwelling in that land.' In 17:16 the Ephraimites cite Canaanite possession of 'chariots of iron' as preventing them from taking the plains. These statements seem to be in tension with the dominant theological conviction of the book of Joshua that the 'hand of the LORD is mighty' (4:24) and with the divine promise to the leader Joshua that 'No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life...You shall cause this people to inherit the land' (1:5-6). Joshua himself seems to agree with this assessment, insisting in 17:18 that 'you shall drive out the Canaanites, though they have chariots of iron, and though they are strong.' Perhaps statements of what Israel 'could not' do are to be read as early evidence of spiritual slippage-of failure to follow the Lord 'wholly' (see 14:8)-which will become increasingly evident in the book of Judges."


(emphasis added)


Israel 'could not' capture the Jebbies and the Cannies, not because the Lord wasn't strong enough, but because there were areas where they had slipped from following the Lord. Was this 'life threatening' to the nation? I guess you could make a case for it, but not really. Would God, by His overflowing abundant grace, come through for them in the end? You betcha. But would it have not gone alot smoother and easier and with much more peace without the pesky Jebusites and Canaanites hanging around? Little slips add up and cause hindrances to your life. Neglecting little areas of obedience breed little areas of frustration. Little areas of frustration breed bigger areas of frustration. Before long, the frustration snow balls into a disconnect from God.


Does God forgive sin? Hallelujah, yes.


Did the cross cover every sin I will ever commit against God? For sure (again, hallelujah).


But are there consequences to disobeying God? Absolutely. Pesky consequences. Consequences that make life harder and more frustrating and more difficult. Consequences that add stress and tension. Consequences that could have been avoided had there been obedience in the small things.


Are there 'pesky' areas in your life that are results from disobeying God in the small things? Maybe you haven't been able to 'conquer' them, not because God is not big enough to do it, but because you haven't trusted Him in obedience in other areas?


Trust and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus.

1 comment:

becca said...

pastor Matt
you really have a great point you do have to trust and obey Him for there is no other way. I have a hard time doing this every day. Many times it seems I try to push my way into things without giving it to God to be decided. I need to be more faithful to God. And trust that if I give every thing to him that life will be ok.