Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back from the Convention in San Antonio

Many of you WBC folks are asking me how the Southern Baptist Convention was in San Antonio, TX. My response? "Boring." It really was. But that's a REALLY good thing...for the most part. What I mean is, by and large, the fact that it was boring means that there weren't any "major tension" moments where we all disagree about important things. Most everything that was brought up was agreed upon with small amounts of questioning and debating. The debates were healthy and kept with a spirit of love. So, it is a good thing when we had a convention that was boring. It means that, by and large, the SBC is doing well.
Are there some issues that were avoided? Yes. Should there have been some discussions concerning certain theological issues? Perhaps. But if they were, I cannot say for certain it would have solved anything. Some issues would have only hurt the convention, not helped it, I'm afraid. There are some issues that, at times, we must "agree to disagree."
Though some things frustrate me about our convention, overall I am proud to be a Southern Baptist. It is a convention that wholeheartedly believes the Bible is the inerrant and Holy Spirit inspired Word of God. Because of that, I am able to stand behind the pulpit of WBC every week and preach the Word without hesitation. In fact, WBC would get mad if I didn't. Also, the SBC is a convention that is totally committed to reaching the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. All Southern Baptist's believe that Jesus is the ONLY way to God and, thus, people must know the Gospel in order to be saved and have assurance of eternity with God when they die. So, I am proud to be a Southern Baptist. You can read more about what all went on here.

One event I attended that blessed me tremendously was a "breakout" session at the Pastor's Conference on Monday. Roy Fish led one of the sessions on evangelism. I could have listened to him for hours. He has been a long time professor of evangelism at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and has influenced some of my heros of the faith in Southern Baptist life. I was anxious to hear him teach on this all-important topic. His outline was as follows:

I. Reasons for the Decline in our Efforts in Evangelism
(1). A growing universalism in the U.S. - Many, even within the church, do not believe that unbelievers will go to hell.

(2). A distorted Calvinism - Those who believe that God's sovereignty means that He will bring salvation to lost sinners without using us to share the Gospel with them, will not evangelize. They will "depend on God to do it all" to a fault.

(3). A moral and spiritual relativism - So many today do not believe in absolute truth or even moral absolutes.

II. How Can We Improve What We are Doing?
(1). Personal Evangelism - Primarily by building relationships with neighbors and friends and co-workers.
(2). Organizational Evangelism - Go after lost church members!
(3). Theological Evangelism - Do not just exalt the one who leads someone to faith in Christ, brag on the people who are trying. "Sowing is just as important as reaping!"
(4). Literature Evangelism - Use the internet, tracts, books, etc. to get the Gospel in people's hands.
(5). Major on children and youth - Be dogmatic about Jesus being the only way to God.

He said many things that really challenged me and encouraged me in personal witnessing. I leave you with these two quotes from Fish, that again, make me proud to be a Southern Baptist:

"The Glory of God is vitally tied to our reaching lost people for Jesus!"

"The most driving motive for winning people to Jesus is that people will be in hell if they die without Him...Every single person in our world is going to spend an eternity somewhere."

Thank you, Dr. Fish, for an incredible lecture. May we seek to bring God glory and prevent souls from going to hell by winning more and more people to Christ!

No comments: