Thursday, June 21, 2007

The LORD of Hosts Cares for His Flock

I experienced something last week that reminded me of the importance of having regenerate church members. I will not recount the circumstances here, for those involved are unaware and the point can be made without it. Though I knew the truth, I saw it first hand: unregenerate church members (those who are not 'born again' followers of Christ Jesus) can seriously damage the integrity of the church, the spread of the Gospel, and trample on the glory of God. The "church" by definition means "called out ones." Those who have been "called out of darkness" and brought into His "glorious light." A church is a gathering, or a group, of those kind of people. Changed people. Transformed people. Enthralled with Christ people. Thus, membership within the church is to be taken VERY seriously.
Reading through Zechariah I came across these glorious words in chapter 10:
"the LORD of hosts cares for His flock...and will make them like His majestic steed in battle...they shall be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them...their hearts shall be glad as with wine...their hearts shall rejoice in the LORD."
That affirmed it for me (as if I needed any more affirmation...it's all through the Bible!). God cares for His flock. They will be majestic on the earth (because of Him). They will be glad in Him. They will rejoice in Him. Those who belong to the LORD find their heart's delight in HIM!
Those who associate with His people and label themselves as His people, but have never been saved and rescued through hope and joy in the Gospel (unregenerate church members) only communicate to the lost world that being on a role of a church and "attending" church is the ticket to heaven. Likewise, churches who allow for unregenerate humans to be on their role are deceiving these people into thinking they truly are saved when they aren't! All the way around, then, this is a VERY BIG DEAL!

Consider this quote from Charles Haddon Spurgeon:
"By all means, let us bring true converts into the church, for it is a part of our work to teach them to observe all things whatsoever Christ has commanded them, but still, this is to be done to disciples and not to mere professors; and if care not be used, may we do more harm than good at this point. To introduce unconverted persons to the church is to weaken and degrade it; and therefore an apparent gain may be a real loss."

Amen.

To all church members who may come across this, I challenge you to ask yourself whether or not you are truly converted and are being transformed into the image of Christ. I also ask you to consider what are some implications for having unconverted men and women as members. I also encourage you to contemplate ways this can be remedied. It is a BIG DEAL. The LORD of hosts cares for His flock...so should we.

I also want to point you to a new blog that started yesterday. It is located at one of my favorite web-sites and ministries. The ministry is called "9 Marks." You can get to the blog by clicking here. I feel sure that it will be full of solid information on how to get, keep, and maintain healthy churches for the glory of God and the evangelism of mankind.

2 comments:

CR said...

Good commentary. Jesus said, "A little leaven leavens the whole lump."

Anonymous said...

Great word. I love that Spurgeon quote. I quoted this blog on my website's latest article.