Friday, September 17, 2010

Lunch with Luke


Today I had the wonderful joy of going to Luke's kindergarten and having lunch with him. It was definitely one of the major joys I have had in a long while. Below are a couple of thoughts regarding my time with him...


First, I am thankful to God for a public school that (1) allows me to go any day to eat lunch with my son at his school, and (2) allows me to 'say the blessing' (pray!) with him before he ate his lunch (so I waited until I got home to eat!). That is a blessing that I don't ever want to take lightly. Thank You, Lord!


Second, I am so thankful to God that Luke actually WANTS me to come to school to eat lunch with him. When parents come, they get to sit off by themselves with their child. Luke WANTED me to come to his school and eat AND he wanted us to sit together, away from his class. In other words, he wanted to be with ME! Oh how grateful to God I am for that. There were several times during lunch where he actually reached over with one or both arms and hugged me! What a gift!

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think it will always be this way. I better enjoy it while it lasts.


Third, I praise God with how confident he is around his friends and in the lunch room. He didn't seem scared. He didn't seem timid. He knew right where to go, right where to get his milk (chocolate!), right where to get his silverware, right where to get his napkin, right where to pick up his tray, right where to show daddy where we would sit, right where to go and throw away his trash, and right where to put his tray. When I walked away, he confidently walked to where his class was sitting and was greeted by friends. Thank You, Lord!


Fourth, I am so glad that he likes to wear his 'Hammer Tattoo' on his left cheek. Yes, I mean that. He loves it. He loves 'Hammer the YellowJacket.' He loves getting the tattoos on Fridays. He loves wearing them on his hand and he isn't ashamed to wear one on his cheek. I am glad he isn't embarrassed to wear one, even on his cheek. He loves it. He enjoys it. He couldn't wait for me to take a picture with my phone so I could show Seth when I picked him up from Wee-School. The tattoo brought him joy today. It made him smile. God has blessed him with a wonderful smile. I am glad he wears his 'Hammer Tattoo' on his left cheek.


Fifth, I was reminded today of the importance of enjoying the life God has given me. He has blessed me with two remarkable boys and an absolutely 'drop dead' gorgeous wife. Do I deserve that? No way. Is it all of grace from God? Totally. Did God send Jesus to die in my place and bear the punishment I deserve and raise Him from the dead for me to live in fear that I am going to get what I deserve? Not at all. Rather, Jesus came that I might have life and have it to the full....part of that means to enjoy my family while praising God for His glorious grace. I think that is probably an act of worship when that happens, is it not?


Sixth, I was reminded today of my need to bring Luke up in the instruction and discipline of the Lord. He is now and, if the Lord wills that he stay in public school, will always be surrounded by those who do not know Christ. This has at least two implications. One, bad company corrupts good morals. The temptation and the pulling him away from 'what his parents taught him' will always be dangerously present. But two, he will always have ample opportunity to make Christ known. Being able to share the Gospel will be constant. My chief job as a parent is to bring him in the ways of the Lord God.


My, oh my, how I need the grace and mercy and strength and the Spirit of the Lord! Thank You, Lord, for my sons and for the chance to eat lunch with Luke today.


2 comments:

Faith said...

Aaron ate lunch with Jackson a couple weeks ago... had a lot of the same things to say. Said it was a ton of fun, and Jackson just absolutely LOVED it. Yes, we should enjoy it while it lasts, I bet it doesn't last long. Great post...

Connie said...

Now you're talking!!
I'm so glad to read that you are "counting your blessings, naming them one by one."