Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fathers Who are Serious about Their God-Ordained Responsibility - Part V


Calling all Fathers!!!!


Okay, so I am sorry for the delay on this last one for anyone who noticed. I intended on doing it Friday, but... Then I intended on getting to it Saturday, but...


Please scroll down for Parts I, II, III, and IV of this series.


So here goes. The more I have thought about it, the more I want to say. There are literally thousands of ways to be 'radically intentional' about making disciples of Christ with and for your children ('to the glory of Jesus Christ'!).



  • You could sing with them - my kids LOVE the VBS songs...buy the CD and sing it with them (or purchase some kids praise CD's and listen in the car).



  • You must let them see you read and love and cherish the Bible. This is one of the most profound impacts my dad has had on me - EVERY MORNING I saw him reading and loving the Bible!



  • You could watch sports with them (or other 'family-friendly' things) and talk through ways someone might or might not display godly, Christ-like character.


On and on the list could go. I leave you (for now) with two interrelated challenges for all dads:


(1) Carve out TIME with your children. Spend time with them. ALOT of time with them. No one has EVER said, 'man, I wish I had spent more time at the office rather than being at home with my family.' Someone may be at the office longer and/or later than you. Someone else may get the 'workaholic' award. Let them get it! You go and let your kids give you the 'best dad in the world' award!


(2) Practically live out Deuteronomy 6 with your family. Read it. Study it. Intentional think through ways you can talk with your kids throughout the day about the ways and purposes and things of God. Ask God for wisdom in doing this and to remind you to do this. He will hear and obey and honor the request. It's not JUST about taking them to church with you. It's not JUST about reading the Bible once a week with them. These things are important for sure. However, if they don't see how it plays out through your life (model the Gospel) and in conversation (talk about the implications of the Gospel), the other things just might become another ritual for them.


If you are saved and God has blessed you with children, He has empowered you already (see Ephesians 2:10) with the skills and tools and wisdom to obey Ephesians 6:4.




No comments: