Tuesday, March 31, 2009

True Christianity

Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?" (Luke 9:23-25)

In another place He said, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26-27)

Jesus demands radical allegiance. Jesus demands everything. When one surrenders to follow Christ, he or she must be willing to leave everything if Jesus so calls. The world and everything it has to offer must pale in comparison to the joy that is found in knowing, loving, obeying, and following Jesus Christ. Jesus demands everything from us because He is better than anything else. Him being known by all the peoples of the earth is a way of loving others, for knowing Him is the greatest thing for any human being. Being willing to leave all for the sake of making His name known MUST be the priority and agenda of every single believer.

Remarkably, Jesus said these words after His resurrection and just before His ascension: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20)

The call is radical. The promise of His presence is remarkable. He has ALL the authority. He WILL be with His followers who are making disciples. Everything the believer does must have as its ultimate aim the glory of Jesus by making Him known and treasured above all things throughout the whole world.

I am writing this just minutes after a family of five just pulled out of our church parking lot to serve as IMB missionaries in Zambia, Africa. James, Marci, Taylor, Emily, and Micah Langston just left everything behind in Wynne, AR (friends, family, job, school, church, etc.) to obey the call of Christ to go and make disciples of all nations. Praying with them before they left and then seeing the van pull away was a picture of true Christianity. When one surrenders their life to Jesus, he or she surrenders everything.

It is a reminder to me today that, though I have not been called to go overseas (yet!), I am to constantly be making disciples of all nations where He has me. I am to always to strategize and be intentional and be busy declaring the good news. If that is in Wynne, so be it. If it is in Zambia, so be it. True Christianity is a willingness to go wherever He leads and wherever He calls. When He does call, His followers will go because He is greater than any other thing. Thank you, Langston family, for giving me a taste of True Christianity today.

No comments: